[linux-lvm] Re: Cannot create snapshots with kernel 2.4.24, lvm 1.0.4: Cannor allocate memory

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Wed Jan 21 18:51:02 UTC 2004

Hi List,

    Thanks to some helpful off-list help from someone on the list, I've
found out that the trouble is related to using LVM with a HIMEM kernel.
I have rebuilt a new kernel without himem support, and snapshots are now
working.

    On the other hand, if I run this way, I'll have 3GB of memory
basically sitting there doing not much else other than contributing to
chassis heat.

    I also have to get the VFS-Lock patch in there (i'm building a
patched kernel now to test it) before snapshots are really useful.

    So, does anyone either (a) know what the problem is, or (b) at least
know where I should look to try and fix it?  I'm guessing that the
problem has been solved at least by some of the commerical distros..

Thanks.

-SteveK