[linux-lvm] duplicate PV error with 2.6.1 and lvm2

I am attempting to create a simple volume on a soft raid 1 device (/dev/md1) on a gentoo linux box running 2.6.1. The pvcreate seems to go fine but when I then attempt to create the volume group I get an odd error about duplicate PV's. It seems as if the code is sometimes treating the device as a single device and sometimes seeing the underlying disks. Any help would be appreciated.

disk1 root # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
     244179840 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 hdg3[1] hde3[0]
     76035520 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>
disk1 root # pvcreate /dev/md1
Physical volume "/dev/md1" successfully created
disk1 root # vgcreate filestore /dev/md1
Found duplicate PV 5c5olnVSu9cpsAmJ6trmPopx1Hv4ZGv4: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1
Found duplicate PV 5c5olnVSu9cpsAmJ6trmPopx1Hv4ZGv4: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1
Found duplicate PV 5c5olnVSu9cpsAmJ6trmPopx1Hv4ZGv4: using /dev/sdb1 not /dev/sda1
Volume group "filestore" successfully created

-David Powers