Re: [linux-lvm] Snapshots with Debian 2.4.26

Mark Komarinski wrote:
Right. I'm off breaking all the rules here. Here's what I have:

Debian backport of 2.4.26 (only change was adding 64G support)
Debian stable (1.0.4 it says)

I want to use snapshots for backing up oracle, but here's what I have:

cliff:~# lvcreate -l1 -s -n oracle_control_1_snap /dev/vg00/oracle_control_1
lvcreate -- INFO: using default snapshot chunk size of 64 KB for "/dev/vg00/oracle_control_1_snap"
lvcreate -- doing automatic backup of "vg00"
lvcreate -- logical volume "/dev/vg00/oracle_control_1_snap" successfully created

cliff:~# mount /dev/vg00/oracle_control_1_snap /snapshot/oracle/
mount: block device /dev/vg00/oracle_control_1_snap is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg00/oracle_control_1_snap,
or too many mounted file systems
cliff:~#

(The size of the lv that I'm doing a snapshot of is 1 64M extent, so doing a 1 extent in size should be enough, yes?)

My understanding is that this is a result of the VFS patch not being applied. But there doesn't seem to be a VFS patch for 2.4.26.

Any ideas? I can provide whatever additional information you need, but this is really strange.

-Mark

I'll follow up to myself, as I found the problem.

I was able to find the 2.4.22 VFS patch which applied pretty cleanly (there was a DM patch, but since I'm not using it, there was nothing to apply). Rebooted and it's working fine.

-Mark

--
Mark Komarinski				mkomarinski hms harvard edu
Sr. Linux/UNIX System Administrator	http://wqcg.med.harvard.edu