[linux-lvm] dm kernel patch size

Kevin Corry kevcorry at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 6 22:01:22 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 4:44 pm, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:17:38PM +0100, Alasdair G Kergon alleged:
> > On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 01:56:23PM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > > Do the dm targets require the mm patchset?  Is it possible to get
> > > _just_ the new dm targets?
> >
> > Yes - instead of applying the entire included -mm patch, take the dm
> > patches from the "broken out" version on his website:
> >
> >   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/
> >
> > [Or work from Linus's bk tree, if you just want snapshot and pvmove.]
>
> The only dm-related patch in 2.6.7-mm6 that I can see is the new IO barrier
> patch.

It's all part of the "linus.patch", which is most likely a recent -bk patch.

> I don't want to follow any development trees, including Linus'.  Can I get
> just the dm targets for 2.6.7 vanilla kernel.org?

You might be able to patch a temporary 2.6.7 kernel with 2.6.7-udm1, and then
copy over the contents of drivers/md/ to your non-mm tree. I don't *think*
there are any affected files outside of drivers/md/ (maybe
include/linux/device-mapper.h and dm-ioctl.h), but don't quote me on that. :)

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry at us.ibm.com
http://evms.sourceforge.net/