[linux-lvm] vgscan eating memory

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 14:40:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:59:13AM +0300, Tarmo Samuel wrote:
> lvm2-2.00.15

> Problem: lvm vgscan runs, eats up more and more memory until it gets
> OOM-killed.

I've seen a similar bug in the past, but that one got fixed.

(1) Please reproduce with the latest LVM2 release (2.00.20)

(2) Also reproduce after building with configure --disable-o_direct

(3) Then send standard lvm2 diagnostics: turn on debug logging to file
    in lvm.conf, run vgscan, and send me (not the list) the
    (compressed) output.   [If it's big, you can truncate it from
    where it starts repeating itself.]

  log {
        file="/tmp/lvm2.log"
        level=7
  }

>  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>  Ignoring additional label on /dev/hda11 at sector 1

That suggests you've somehow got more than one LVM2 label on /dev/hda11:
the debug output may give more details.
[Or send me the first 2k of the device.]

What's the history of LVM commands affecting that device?
(eg created with an old LVM2 pvcreate or/and the current one,
or with the --labelsector option?  dd onto it? vgcreate/extend?
adjusted partition table?)

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com