Re: [linux-lvm] unable to create permanent physical volume on /dev/hdc

Thanks, this is probably the case. I disconnected hdc and hdd and hooked up a dvd-rom to do the re-install which was /dev/hdc during the re-install. I will check later today when I have access to the machine.

Patrick Caulfield wrote:

Check the config file (/etc/lvm/lvm.conf) for filters. By default /dev/cdrom is
filtered out on Debian systems and this often gets mapped to /dev/hdc. Which
would cause those symptoms.

Simply comment out the active "filter = " line and run vgscan.

--
There is no doubt about precisely when folks began racing each other in automobiles. It was the day they built the second automobile. -- Richard Petty