[linux-lvm] Re: root restore onto a logical volume

David Spear <dspear <at> telus.net> writes:

> Did I miss something in my restore? Do I need to restore a configuration of
> some sort? I have read through the manpages on vgcfgbackup and vgcfgrestore
and believe that these write out
> configurations to the physical volumes.Â
> As I can boot my old root (or boot from cd)
> and both see and mount /dev/Volume00/TempVol Iâm sure thereâs
> nothing wrong with my volume group configuration on the disksâ

Okay, solved my own problem.  My backup of root "/" that I restored onto the
new logical volume /dev/Volume00/TempVol was lacking the block device to access
TempVol.  A simple:

# mknod /dev/Volume00/TempVol b 58 4

was all I needed and up she came.  I have a vague recollection that one of the
manpages for an lvm utility mentioned something about backup/restore of special
files but I can't remember which one...