[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: [linux-lvm] Help : vg not accessible (with pvdata result)



Pascal,

can you send me (hjm redhat com) the first 4MB (see script below) of each PV
and I'll try to reconstruct your partial overwritten metadata.

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --


I need the dd output of /dev/hda[156]:

for d in 1 5 6
do
	dd if=/dev/hda$d of=hda${d}.vgda bs=1k count=4k
done
tar cf pascal.vgda.tar hda?.vgda
rm hda?.vgda
bzip2 pascal.vgda.tar

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:19:53AM +0100, dld.pascal.garcia wrote:
> Hello,  
> My problem is the following :  
> If use lvm on my laptop for ages.  
>   
> By lack of space I decided to add a pv to the vg, and extend the lv /.  
>  
> It seems that diskdrake uses a pvcreate to add the pv in the vg.  
> After I made a lvextend on the lv mounted as / of 500Mb and a  
> rizerfsresize.  
> This was working fine. The problem occured after reboot.  
>   
> I did not run lilo  to recreate the Master boot sector and may be it is  
> one problem as / in a lv.  
>   
> I tried the recue disk, but Mandrake did not include the lvmtools, so I  
> tried a new installation. The installation process told me that there  
> was illegal division by 0 when acessing the information of the vg.  
> So i did not change anything an stopped the installation, (switch off  
> the pc because there is no sofware abort possible without change of the  
> disk data at this stage of the installation).  
>   
> As I had no solution on the portable, I took the disk out of my portable,  
> and put it as primary (so the disk is hda as in the portable) in a fixed  
> machine  (special cables available), I added a second disk as slave and  
> installed the  distribution on the second disk. Then the MSB has been  
> replaced. That is really a problem because now I can not even start  
> booting on the portable disk.  
>   
>   
> All the tools are now available, diskdrake told me that the partition I  
> finally  added (hda1) was not in the vg. So I added the partition. It  
> was an error I completly  realize it now.  
> An error has been repported on pvcreate, but mainly it has been done, 
> but  
> the data  in /etc has not been created.  
>   
> whith pvdata now I can see that I have 2 pvs with number one. The  
> orgiginal first (hda6) and the volume i finally added (hda1).  
>   
> pvremove reports an error, and does nothing.  
>   
> vgscan does nothing on rootvg as it is inconsistant. Anyway the system do  
> not know the vg, /dev/rootvg/[123] do not exist.  
>   
>  
> I think I should first, by patching the data by hand, either remove the  
> last pv I added (hda1), or make it as beeing the 3rd pv of the vg. What  
> ever I have to patch, I have to make the data on the pv consistant. 
>  
> When the data will then be available, I will backup the data, put the  
> disk back in the portable and reinstall everything.  
>   
> Thank you for any help that would permit to save my data. 
>   
> Pascal Garcia  
>   
>  
> Here is the result of the vgscan and pvdata 
>  
>  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]# vgscan 
> vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...) 
> vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data 
> of volume group "rootvg" from physical volume(s) 
> vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created 
> vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your 
> volume group 
>  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]# vgscan -v 
> vgscan -- removing "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" 
> vgscan -- creating empty "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" 
> vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...) 
> vgscan -- scanning for all active volume group(s) first 
> vgscan -- reading data of volume group "rootvg" from physical volume(s) 
> vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data 
> of volume group "rootvg" from physical volume(s) 
> vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created 
> vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your 
> volume group 
>  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]#  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]#  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]# pvdata /dev/hda6 
> --- Physical volume --- 
> PV Name               /dev/hda6 
> VG Name               rootvg 
> PV Size               20.71 GB [43423632 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM: 
> 130 KB] 
> PV#                   1 
> PV Status             available 
> Allocatable           yes (but full) 
> Cur LV                3 
> PE Size (KByte)       32768 
> Total PE              661 
> Free PE               0 
> Allocated PE          661 
> PV UUID               l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV 
>  
> --- Volume group --- 
> VG Name                
> VG Access             read/write 
> VG Status             NOT available/resizable 
> VG #                  0 
> MAX LV                256 
> Cur LV                3 
> Open LV               0 
> MAX LV Size           2 TB 
> Max PV                256 
> Cur PV                3 
> Act PV                3 
> VG Size               27.78 GB 
> PE Size               32 MB 
> Total PE              889 
> Alloc PE / Size       685 / 21.41 GB 
> Free  PE / Size       204 / 6.38 GB 
> VG UUID               dyEbIX-HcZF-9Jna-UmlR-bmKL-PiQ6-kFLTq0 
>  
> --- List of logical volumes --- 
>  
> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/1" at offset   0 
> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/2" at offset   1 
> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/3" at offset   2 
> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   3 is empty 
> ... 
> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 255 is empty 
> --- List of physical volume UUIDs --- 
>  
> 001: l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV 
> 002: miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8 
> 003: The3kH-g4Pr-eFe2-mcKO-pAgq-BUNr-NLXs1w 
>  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]# pvdata /dev/hda5 
> --- Physical volume --- 
> PV Name               /dev/hda5 
> VG Name               rootvg 
> PV Size               313.74 MB [642537 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM: 
> 128 KB] 
> PV#                   2 
> PV Status             NOT available 
> Allocatable           yes (but full) 
> Cur LV                1 
> PE Size (KByte)       32768 
> Total PE              8 
> Free PE               0 
> Allocated PE          8 
> PV UUID               miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8 
>  
> --- Volume group --- 
> VG Name                
> VG Access             read/write 
> VG Status             NOT available/resizable 
> VG #                  0 
> MAX LV                256 
> Cur LV                3 
> Open LV               0 
> MAX LV Size           2 TB 
> Max PV                256 
> Cur PV                3 
> Act PV                3 
> VG Size               27.78 GB 
> PE Size               32 MB 
> Total PE              889 
> Alloc PE / Size       685 / 21.41 GB 
> Free  PE / Size       204 / 6.38 GB 
> VG UUID               dyEbIX-HcZF-9Jna-UmlR-bmKL-PiQ6-kFLTq0 
>  
> --- List of logical volumes --- 
>  
> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/1" at offset   0 
> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/2" at offset   1 
> pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/3" at offset   2 
> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   3 is empty 
> ... 
> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 255 is empty 
> --- List of physical volume UUIDs --- 
>  
> 001: l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV 
> 002: miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8 
> 003: The3kH-g4Pr-eFe2-mcKO-pAgq-BUNr-NLXs1w 
>  
>  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]# pvdisplay /dev/hda6 
> --- Physical volume --- 
> PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 
> VG Name               rootvg 
> PV Size               20.71 GB [43423632 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM: 
> 130 KB] 
> PV#                   1 
> PV Status             available 
> Allocatable           yes (but full) 
> Cur LV                3 
> PE Size (KByte)       32768 
> Total PE              661 
> Free PE               0 
> Allocated PE          661 
> PV UUID               l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV 
>  
>  
> root localhost: /root[root localhost root]# pvdisplay /dev/hda5 
> --- Physical volume --- 
> PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 
> VG Name               rootvg 
> PV Size               313.74 MB [642537 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM: 
> 128 KB] 
> PV#                   2 
> PV Status             NOT available 
> Allocatable           yes (but full) 
> Cur LV                1 
> PE Size (KByte)       32768 
> Total PE              8 
> Free PE               0 
> Allocated PE          8 
> PV UUID               miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8 
>  
> root localhost: /root/vg[root localhost vg]# pvdisplay /dev/hda1 
> --- Physical volume --- 
> PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 
> VG Name               rootvg 
> PV Size               6.93 GB [14538762 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM: 
> 128 KB] 
> PV#                   1 
> PV Status             NOT available 
> Allocatable           yes 
> Cur LV                0 
> PE Size (KByte)       32768 
> Total PE              220 
> Free PE               220 
> Allocated PE          0 
> PV UUID               none 
>  
>  
> root localhost: /root/vg[root localhost vg]# pvdata /dev/hda1 
> --- Physical volume --- 
> PV Name               /dev/hda1 
> VG Name               rootvg 
> PV Size               6.93 GB [14538762 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM: 
> 128 KB] 
> PV#                   1 
> PV Status             NOT available 
> Allocatable           yes 
> Cur LV                0 
> PE Size (KByte)       32768 
> Total PE              220 
> Free PE               220 
> Allocated PE          0 
> PV UUID               none 
>  
> --- Volume group --- 
> VG Name                
> VG Access             read/write 
> VG Status             NOT available/resizable 
> VG #                  0 
> MAX LV                256 
> Cur LV                0 
> Open LV               0 
> MAX LV Size           2 TB 
> Max PV                256 
> Cur PV                1 
> Act PV                1 
> VG Size               6.88 GB 
> PE Size               32 MB 
> Total PE              220 
> Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0 
> Free  PE / Size       220 / 6.88 GB 
> VG UUID               none 
>  
> --- List of logical volumes --- 
>  
> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   0 is empty 
> ... 
> pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 255 is empty 
> --- List of physical volume UUIDs --- 
>  
> Segmentation fault (core dumped) 
>  
>  
>  
> 
> _______________________________________________
> linux-lvm mailing list
> linux-lvm redhat com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-lvm
> read the LVM HOW-TO at http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Red Hat GmbH
Consulting Development Engineer                   Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen RedHat com                            +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]