[linux-lvm] VGs gone!

My volumes have disappeared.  can anyone help recover?

setup:
I have two drives partitioned identically so that they
can be mirrored.  each drive has a boot, swap, and a
very large lvm partition.  We had a problem with the
root partition on the first drive, so we decided to
restore from the mirror using dd.  After doing this,
the VGs are not in existence anymore.  running
'vgscan' shows it creates /etc/lvmtab and
/etc/lvmtab.d correctly, but they are empty.

Is there a way to recreate this information?