[linux-lvm] using DM/LVM to provide "chunked" view of device

Pete Flugstad pete.flugstad at icon-labs.com
Wed Mar 17 22:54:04 UTC 2004

Hello!

I'm wondering if I can use LVM (or rather Device Mapper) to provide a
"chunked" or "split" view of a device (such as a block device or partition).

Specifically if I have a block device (i.e. /dev/hde1) that is 60GB, and
I want to view it in 1GB chunks, say /dev/hde1.000 to /dev/hde1.059 or
something like that.  That way I could, for example, setup a FTP or HTTP
server to view these and download them over the network (of course I'd
need to modify the server to be able to read from a block device),
rather than having to download the entire 60 GB block device.

Is it possible to use DM/LVM to provide a view of the device like this?
I am using Linux 2.6.X.

Thanks,
Pete