[linux-lvm] lvm broken after os change

peter abplanalp alderion1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 17:30:48 UTC 2004

hi.  i just changed from redhat to debian and was
hoping that i would be able to use the lv's i had;
however, i am having a problem.  for some reason lvm
is having problems with one of my vg's.  i am hoping
that someone can help me get the data off of the
problematic lv.  i read a couple posts about a similar
issue but nothing about recovering the data was
mentioned.  thanks in advance for any and all help.

the following is the output of some commands:

pvscan:

#pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take
a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hda3" of VG "vg00" [10.12
GB / 0 free]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb"   is associated to
unknown VG "vg01" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdd"   is associated to
unknown VG "vg01" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdd1"  is associated to
unknown VG "vg01" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 4 [71.44 GB] / in use: 4 [71.44 GB] /
in no VG: 0 [0]

vgscan:

# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take
a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "vg00"
vgscan -- ERROR "pv_read_all_pv_of_vg(): no PV" can't
get data of volume group "vg01" from physical
volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA
backup of your volume groups

lvscan:

# lvscan
lvscan -- volume group "vg00" is NOT active; try -D
lvscan -- no logical volumes found

other particulars:
lvm 1.0.8