[linux-lvm] problem with disks on different major device

I have a problem with LVM 1.03.
It fails to pv_create_name_from_kdev_t with devices that use a major number
different from the first one.
My disks are mapped to major 8, then to major 65 66 etc as can be seen in
/proc/devices:

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  7 loop
  8 sd
 31 mtdblock
 58 lvm
 65 sd
 66 sd
 67 sd

LVM won't work with the disks on the majors 65 and on.

I'm using devfs, I have no idea if that matters.
Maybe someone knows if this issue is fixable, if it was fixed, or how to
work around it.

Thanks,
Dan