Re: [linux-lvm] dd of a used part of a logical volume?

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:45:53AM -0400, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> Now I'd like to play with the dd copying of the whole reiserfs (I'm
> avoiding the word partition since it covers the whole logical volume
> which spans the whole RAID device).  I simply do not have space to copy
> the whole RAID, but the size of the used space on this reiserfs volume was
> under about 9 GB.  I wonder how can I copy just about that -- I assume it
> fills the logical volume contiguously, so I can dd the first 9 GB and then
> try the loopback mount/rebuild.

ReiserFS tells where on the LV to write, LVM has nothing to do with it.  So
you really need to talk to the Reiserfs people to find out where metadata
and data would be written to on a 150GB volume.  It could be that some of
the data is at the front of the LV, and some is at the end.  LVM has nothing
to do with that - it just tells reiserfs it has 150GB to work with, write
stuff to it.

Regards,
--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat Inc.                               E-Mail: alewis redhat com

Current GPG fingerprint = FE77 4B43 6A9B F982 A731  02FA 2BF5 7574 294A AA5A
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...