[linux-lvm] Re: Software raid on top of lvm logical volume

Kai Leibrandt k_leibrandt at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 00:33:37 UTC 2004

Solaris' LVM is able to do this all in one manager too, in fact, all volumes
start life as single raid0 slices, which you then add stripes (keeping it a
raid0 volume, as Solaris calls it) or mirrors to (to create a raid1 volume).
Also, for snapshots, you can actually choose where to put the background
storage for the snapshot, so you can just stick it on a mounted volume that
has enough space. This is great because you can use all of your physical
extents of your PV even when using snapshots, instead of reserving some
space for snapshots in your VG...
Also, admin of volumes under Solaris is really very straight forward, I only
wish it were so easy with Linux/LVM/md (though it is still not very
difficult of course), especially when creating a new mirror from a volume,
adding new pv's etc...
For those who are interested, http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-5776 is a good
read...

Kai.