[linux-lvm] Possible version problem

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Nov 9 08:35:18 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 10:03:24PM -0700, ewf wrote:
> Well
>      I have a 2.2.20 kernel, (Debian stable), and I have a Debian
> package for lvm10 and lvm-common:
>
>            lvm10,  install version, 1.0.4-4
>
>            lvm-common, install version, 1.5.5
>
>     I read that, for this early a version, a kernel module must be
> installed. However, I see no evidence that
> one has been installed. I suspect that the new, (lvm), package may not
> contain  the kernel module
> necessary to run with the old kernel version. Please confirm.

Linux 2.2 does not have LVM as standard. If you want to use a 2.2 kernel with
LVM you will have to patch and build your own kernel from sources. In which
case it would be far easier just to get a Debian packaged 2.4 kernel....

>     I assume that the process of installing a package under Debian
> automatically installs a kernel
> module if a given package requires it and contains it.

No. Debian packages don't automatically install kernel modules because they
don't know which kernel you are running.

--

patrick