[linux-lvm] Expanding a PV on a hardware RAID

Jetkins at austinlogistics.com Jetkins at austinlogistics.com
Tue Nov 16 16:24:52 UTC 2004

linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 11/16/2004 09:58:39 AM:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:47:28PM -0600, Jetkins at austinlogistics.com
wrote:
> > any way to expand a PV, and therein lies my problem.  It seems that
without
> > a pvexpand or pvresize command, I have no way of utilizing the
additional
> > space.
>
> LVM1 or LVM2?

lvm-1.0.8-5, as supplied with RH ES3/AS

> Using LVM2 tools you can pvexpand (offline) by backing up the metadata,
> editing the PV size in it (pe_count), then restoring it.
>   new pe_count =
>     floor((new_disk_size_in_512_byte_sectors - pe_start) / extent_size)

By inference, there's no way with LVM1?

> > 2)  Would I have been better off creating a partition table and
> > pvcreate'ing on /dev/sdb1instead of pvcreate'ing the entire /dev/sdb
disk
> > initially, given that I could now have created a new partition on the
extra
> > space and pvreate'd a new PV alongside the old?
>
> That's the supported way.

Bummer that the HOWTO at tldp.org makes no mention of the full-volume
method being unsupported, or even of a preference for one method over the
other. :(

Thanks.  I guess I'll start pulling these drives out of the array; my users
are screaming for the extra space.

Jon Etkins
IT Administration & Support
Austin Logistics, Inc