[linux-lvm] HA Fileserver configuration recommendation sought.

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Fri Nov 19 18:21:26 UTC 2004

I have the results I obtained while experimenting with > 2T filesystems
on RHEL 3 and FC 2 at the following URL:

http://dcs.nac.uci.edu/~strombrg/nbd.html

It mostly covers NBD and ENBD, but I believe you'll find some things
relevant to what you're looking for in it as well - EG there is some md
and LVM coverage.

Another alternative is Lustre.  It is a filesystem which purports to be
able to aggregate the disks of multiple storage computers into one or
more gigantic filesystems.  It isn't stable for us, but it may be
someday.  :)  The Lustre vendor claims to be able to break not just the
2T barrier, but also the 16T barrier.  We do have a lustre filesystem of
over 16T set up now, but it remains to be seen what will happen when we
actually put over 16T of -data- in it.

Another option may be the "LBD" patches.  I haven't tried them, nor even
studied about them.