[linux-lvm] problem with LVM and fstab...bug?

Hi,

I am seeing unexpected behavior with getting LVM drives to automatically mount when I boot my machine. The expected behavior works for one LV but not the other. I specified these lines in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/mapper/vg0-www    /www    ext3    rw                      0       2
/dev/mapper/vg0-uml   /uml    ext3    rw                      0       2

These entries didn't work, so I thought I'd try these next two lines:

/dev/vg0/www    /www    ext3    rw                      0       2
/dev/vg0/uml   /uml    ext3    rw                      0       2

Oddly enough, the uml disk mounts on bootup, while the www one does not! Is it just me, or is this chain of events, rather unexpectedly strange:

# umount /uml
# mount /dev/vg0/www
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/vg0/www,
or too many mounted file systems
# ls -al /dev/vg0/www
lrwx------ 1 root root 19 Nov 26 01:29 /dev/vg0/www -> /dev/mapper/vg0-www
# mount /dev/mapper/vg0-www /www
#

But:

# mount /dev/vg0/uml
#

After this, both drives are mounted:

# df
[my other partitions]
/dev/mapper/vg0-www   30237648  10572760  18128888  37% /www
/dev/mapper/vg0-uml   10079084    945240   8621844  10% /uml
#

I am running Linux 2.6.8 on an Athlon with LVM on top of software RAID5. Both partitions were created with mkfs -t ext3 (i.e. no special options...at least...I don't remember using any special options...). I uncommented the "uml" line from /etc/fstab and rebooted, and saw the same sort of behavior. Any ideas? Feel free to email me for more info.

[side question: why is there a symbolic link from /dev/X/Y to /dev/mapper/X-Y anyway?]

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

- Armen