[linux-lvm] Creating snapshot on / hangs machine

Andrew W. Donoho awd at DDG.com
Thu Oct 14 18:16:21 UTC 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 11:31, Kai Leibrandt wrote:
> As soon as I create a snapshot on / however, the machine hangs,
> although X still works (well, the mouse still moves), it is no longer
> possible to open a new shell, switch consoles, or even <CTRL>C the
> lvcreate.
>
> I have tried this with ext2 as well as with xfs, including doing
> xfs_freeze before taking the snapshot, so I don't think it's a filesys
> related matter.
>
> Is there anything I am missing here? Is it even supported to do /
> snapshots?

Kai,

	I reported a similar problem starting with my root partition when I
added a second drive. After a bit of skullduggery, I believe that LVM
activities on the root partition particularly stress the memory system.
Or, at least, when I slowed the memory system down on my x86-64
machine, I no longer get crashes like you describe above.

	What convinced me that this might be a problem was when I tried
compiling a kernel to turn on preemptive scheduling and gcc quit about
halfway through. The build system listed a comment that when gcc quits
there is probably a memory problem. After I slowed down the memory
system, I was able to do a continuous "clean and compile" over night
with a 3.0+ load average. I have not had any other crashes since then.

Andrew

P.S. I just made these changes two days ago. I was just beginning to
feel comfortable with my newfound stability. I hope this helps you.

Andrew W. Donoho
awd at DDG.com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)