[linux-lvm] LVM volume (multi-disk) recovery delima

Tommy Butler tommy at atrixnet.com
Mon Oct 11 23:12:31 UTC 2004

OOOPS!  That's what I said the other day when I realized what I had just
done.  I was getting ready to install Linux on a hard drive that had
previously been used as one disk in a two disk logical volume on a
Fedora core 2 server.

I logged in and deleted everything from the file system on the volume
(ext3) that I didn't need to save.  There was a lot of data that DID
need to be kept however.  I started at / and started deleting away.  rm
-rf /bin /etc /var /home ........etc

What I didn't realize was that LVM obviously makes use of some important
files on it's resident file system in order to keep track of itself.  In
all my deleting I must have deleted these files, because now I can't get
any kind of rescue disk or partitioning software like partition magic to
find the volume again.

How can I get that precious data back?  How can I mount that volume?

--
Tommy Butler