[linux-lvm] High loads when writting to LVM

I have a system that I am testing out lvm on to get a feeling about stability and performance. Stability right now seems good, but I am a little worried about the performance currently I am writing out a large file ~1TB using dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M and am noticing the load seams extreamly high "5.21, 5.26, 5.17". Most of the work is being done in dd but I also notice that kswapd0 is also working fairly heavily. Is this to be expected with LVM or do i have things setup wrong. Write performance seems to be around 100MB/s on an XFS filesystem.

System:
Opteron 242 1.4Ghz
2 GB RAM
Tyan S2882