Re: [linux-lvm] Software raid on top of lvm logical volume

Theo Van Dinter wrote:

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:02:06AM +0200, Eric Monjoin wrote:

I would like to know if it's possible (works perfectly) to create a software mirror (md0) on top of 2 LVM logical volumes :

You'd usually want to make your raid devices first, then put LVM on
top of it. I can't really think of any benefits of doing it the other
way around.

I've thought about this numerous times -- there is the distinct resizing advantage. Namely, if I create a software RAID partition, I can't resize it afterward without destroying it. I have for example, on occasion, had three disks set up where 1/3 of each was devoted to a RAID-0 very fast striping set for data transfers that had to be fast but if they were lost it wasn't critical, and 2/3 was set up as RAID-5 for reliability of another set of data.

I understand this may not be optimal in some situations, but some of us don't have thousands of dollars for SCSI HW RAID controllers.
--
Michael T. Babcock