Re: [linux-lvm] Re: partition strategy

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

Is it better to create 3 partitions 2 x230G + 1G Is it better to create 2 paritions 230G and 231G, put both in a vg,

ie the first option.

I meant the second option:-)

Could you, please tell me what I am doing wrong? TIA.

casals:~# lvextend -l +134 /dev/vg00/lvol0 /dev/hdc3
Using stripesize of last segment 8KB
Insufficient allocatable extents suitable for parallel use for logical volume lvol0: 118816 required

If you don't specify the stripe settings, lvextend uses whatever
the last segment of the LV you're extending uses i.e. 2 stripes in this case. So you need to specify -i1 to add a new segment with
just one stripe.

Alasdair

Many thanks. It all makes sense now.
The way I got it working is just creating 2 partititions, getting the number of extends from the smaller partition, creating a striped lv with that paritition count, then extending it to the remaining the extents as with a single stripe.

Arshavir