[linux-lvm] EMC Question

This has probably been covered before, but I can't find a thread. I apologize if it is indeed a duplicate. I am running RedHat Enterprise Linux ES (v.3) and have several mounted emc "drives".

When I do a pvcreate, I get a "pvcreate -- invalid physical volume "/dev/emcpowerf1"". Why do I get this error? The partition type is 0x8e and the drive is unmounted.

Thanks...

Darren