[linux-lvm] pvmove unable to move extents to multiple smaller pvs

I'm trying to use pvmove to shuffle things around. I have a pv with 22375 extents which I would like to remove from the system. I've added two (2) pvs with 11194 extents each. I get an error message:

Insufficient contiguous allocatable extents (11194) for logical volume pvmove0: 22375 required
Allocation for temporary pvmove LV

Now before you say, don't make it contiguous... It seems that it isn't already.

# lvchange --contiguous n /dev/data_vg/data_lv
Allocation policy of logical volume "data_lv" is already not contiguous

Is this normal? Do I really need all that contiguous space on 1 pv?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Serr