[linux-lvm] Relationship between Device Mapper and LVM2

Dear Sir,
We are trying to do some work on LVM2, by trying to make it more dynamic and suitable for virtual machines. We have a very fundamental doubt as follows:

Is LVM2 based on top of "device mapper" and uses "device mapper" as the underlying layer of support for writing /reading on the disk. Or Device mapper is placed between the kernel and the LVM2. Aslo if possible please tell us the entry point of kernel into the device mapper.

Any suggestions on this topic will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek