[linux-lvm] Lost all info in a file server because of LVM - HEEEELP ME, please

Mário Gamito lists at tuxdoit.com
Sat Apr 2 02:06:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm totally desperated.

I have this file server with a total of about 200 GB of my user's files.

The server has "3 in 1" discs, using LVM.

Somehow, i don't know why, the LVM info is gone and i cannot access my
file system.

I had in LVM:

sda1 -> /boot
sda2 -> /
sda3 -> /home (expanding to sdb and sdc and where all the Samba shares
resides).
sda4 -> swap

sdb

sdc

The machine now starts with a single partition ( / ) mounted on /dev/root

 From there i can manually mount under /mnt, partitions "/boot", "/",
but NOT "/home".
Trying to mount /home, i always get the busy error.
I cannot unmount the "/" on /dev/root, obviously.

How can i (if possible) restore the LVM info ?

I have a backup from last Sunday, so, it's really not a life or death
case, but nevertheless it is a real annoiance, and the server is already
down for 24 hours :(

If it a lost case, how can i at least mount /home so that the changes
made since the backup until today can be transferred to another machine,
while i reinstall this that one that went bezerk ?

Any help would be apreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito