[linux-lvm] VGs not detected at startup

Diaz Rodriguez, Eduardo ediaz at pk25.com
Wed Apr 6 10:02:34 UTC 2005

Hi, I’m running lvm 1.0.8, on kernel 2.4.30, but I have problems with
detecting the VGs. Immediately after bootup, vgscan returns: no volume
groups found I find very similar same problem that:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2004-November/msg00028.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2004-November/msg00033.html

I am running lvm10 in debian linux with kernel 2.4.30

The problem are that boot process, (the rcS.d S27lvm) don't detect any vgs
but, after of some trys I must create a workarround and startup the script
after of

S35mountall.sh
cat S36lvm_ayuda
/sbin/vgscan
/sbin/vgchange -a y
/bin/mount –a

Yesterday the lvm script runs well but I think that the problem can be change
the kernel version (I change from 2.4.28 to 2.4.30)..

The problem was, I change the kernel version, after of boot, for accident I
write the checkroot.sh with checkfs.sh, a reboot, (many fails) I use a knoppix
for start the disk a recover from a very similar system (debian stable too
with lvm too).

After of this, lvm startup script never see any vgs but I exec the lvm script
too after of S35mountall.sh the script runs well.

I change some information of SCSI modules (for my usb-disk  “but this disk
don’t run in lvm only have ATA disk /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdd1” ) for start as
modules. But I don’t remember that, because I think that this can bee easy.
The kernel version was compiling well. But after the reboot I see the problem.
I try exec vgscan –v, (putting in the scripts) but in boot process for any
information but nothing

A very fanny night working at 4:00 AM :-)

If anypeople need more data don’t dude said me I sent the output of the commands

mounts
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/hdc1 on /datos type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /backup/disco1 type reiserfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/vgdatos/vlortofotos on /datos_ortofotos type xfs (rw)

I any want's can contact with me in messenger at ediaz NOSPAM AT pk25 dot com

Any help is very appreciate

P.D Sorry for my English, I am from spain