[linux-lvm] Debian (Sarge) 2.6.8 lvm2 on software raid

linuxboy123 at mindspring.com linuxboy123 at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 6 19:15:03 UTC 2005

to all,

I am sorry if I am repeating an earlier thread but if it exists I haven't found it yet.

I am running Debian (sarge) on a self-compiled 2.6.8.
I have installed
	 lvm2 (lvm2_2.01.04-3_i386.deb) and
	mdadm (mdadm_1.9.0-1_i386.deb).

I have created a raid5 disc and am attempting to do a pvcreate upon it.

Here are my attempts.

# vgscan
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
# pvcreate /dev/md2
  Physical volume "/dev/md2" successfully created
# vgcreate -v /dev/vg00 /dev/md2
    Adding physical volume '/dev/md2' to volume group 'vg00'
    Archiving volume group "vg00" metadata.
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/vg00"
  Volume group "vg00" successfully created
# lvcreate -L 500 /dev/vg00
  Volume group "vg00" doesn't exist

After that failed a couple of times I found on the web to add this line in lvm.conf

filter = [ "a|^/dev/md|", "r|.*|" ]

Is this bug?
Any time you spend on this is appreciated.

Brian