[linux-lvm] Re: optimum blockdev --setra settings

David Greaves david at dgreaves.com
Tue Apr 19 08:17:35 UTC 2005

John McMonagle wrote:

> Anyone establish optimum blockdev --setra settings for raid on a 2.6
> kernel?

yep.
I found 0 at all levels except the topmost.
ie
/dev/hdx -> ra=0
/dev/mdx -> ra=0
/dev/lvm/ -> ra=xxxx

> There has been some discussions on the lvm mailing list.

must have missed it...
Here's the message I cc'ed the lvm group *last* time this came up (12
Dec '04) ;)

I hacked up a quick script to test permutations of readahead - it's not
exactly bonnie+++ but it may be useful.
I wish I'd bothered with mdadm stripe sizes too - but the array is
pretty full now and I'll live with what it delivers.

Essentially I found the best performance on *my* system with all low
level devices and the md device set to a 0 readahead and the lvm device
set to 4096.
I'm only interested in video streaming big (1+Gb) files. Your needs (and
hence test) may differ.

my system is 2.6.10-rc2, xfs, lvm2, raid5, sata disks.

cc'ed the lvm group since this often seems to come up in conjunction
with you guys :)

For your entertainment...

#!/bin/bash
RAW_DEVS="/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/hdb"
MD_DEVS=/dev/md0
LV_DEVS=/dev/huge_vg/huge_lv

LV_RAS="0 128 256 1024 4096 8192"
MD_RAS="0 128 256 1024 4096 8192"
RAW_RAS="0 128 256 1024 4096 8192"

function show_ra()
{
for i in $RAW_DEVS $MD_DEVS $LV_DEVS
do echo -n "$i `blockdev --getra $i`  ::  "
done
echo
}

function set_ra()
{
 RA=$1
 shift
 for dev in $@
 do
   blockdev --setra $RA $dev
 done
}

function show_performance()
{
 COUNT=4000000
 dd if=/dev/huge_vg/huge_lv of=/dev/null count=$COUNT 2>&1 | grep seconds
}

for RAW_RA in $RAW_RAS
 do
 set_ra $RAW_RA $RAW_DEVS