[linux-lvm] Snapshots and mmaped files.

David Brown davidb at qualcomm.com
Tue Apr 19 17:08:27 UTC 2005

I'm using lvm2 snapshots to do backups of several machines.  (lvm2
2.00.33, device-mapper 1.01.00,
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/patches/2.6-unstable/2.6.9/2.6.9-udm1.tar.bz2
minus patch 13)  (I've tried some newer patches, without success, but
that'll be a separate mail).

The problem shows up with files that contains Berkeley databases.  These
files seem to be modified on both the original and the snapshot.  They
show up in my 'var' partition with imapd, and exim, and anything else that
has a berkeley database opened, and modifies the file after the snapshot
is taken.

The mtime of the file is not modified, only the contents.  I suspect that
if one side grew, then the size change would not be affected.

Thanks,
David Brown