[linux-lvm] pvmove hangs

Gergely Imre gimre at nextra.ro
Tue Apr 26 09:19:58 UTC 2005

hi

i have a LV with two PVs in it, like this:

 --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/watchdog/watchdog_var
  VG Name                watchdog
  LV UUID                v6U2JY-PBMf-snpJ-IXX5-ZzcV-y4fk-PchoQg
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                72.22 GB
  Current LE             2311
  Segments               1
  Allocation             next free (default)
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           254:6

  --- Physical volumes ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb2
  PV UUID               5v23aD-mkO0-I9Ur-zUKG-sGd2-8iCP-zhgfJe
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    2500 / 189

  PV Name               /dev/sda1
  PV UUID               7mzLEZ-Va0c-sdiW-8KAV-lyjo-a5yI-GBORGS
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    2941 / 2753

i want to remove sdb2, so i wanted to make a pvmove /dev/sdb2, so it
would move everything to sda1. the strange thing is, pvmove starts, and
after, say, 20% (about an hour or so) the whole system hangs somehow. i
can ping the box, but any command i try to run, fails. it's like it's
waiting for the disk to read/write, or something like that.
the distrib is Fedora Core 2.

lvm> version
  LVM version:     2.00.15 (2004-04-19)
  Library version: 1.00.14-ioctl (2004-04-06)
  Driver version:  4.4.0

filesystem is ext3.
the system has 2GB RAM, dual Intel Xeon 3GHz.

i tried with kernel 2.6.11.7, after a while it gives me kernel panic
during pvmove. then i tried with 2.6.9, it didn't panic, but it hung,
and i had to reboot.

it's kinda urgent, thanks.