[linux-lvm] pvmove hangs

Gergely Imre gimre at nextra.ro
Wed Apr 27 05:46:24 UTC 2005

output of the command
 pvmove -t -vv -d /dev/sdb2 > /tmp/pvmove-test.txt 2>&1
is here (http://terran.noc.astral.ro/pvmove/pvmove-test.txt)

then, i ran it without -t, like this:
 pvmove -vv -d /dev/sdb2 > /tmp/pvmove.txt 2>&1

the output here:
http://terran.noc.astral.ro/pvmove/pvmove.txt

at first, everything seemed alright, it kept writing the progress in the
file. i even ran 'lvs' a couple of times:

[root at watchdog tmp]# lvs
LV            VG       Attr   LSize  Origin Snap%  Move      Move%
.
.
.
pvmove0       watchdog p-C-ao 72.22G               /dev/sdb2   4.15
watchdog_root watchdog -wn-ao  5.88G
watchdog_var  watchdog -wN-ao 72.22G

the filesystem on this LV was mounted and used during the pvmove, but
this shouldn't be a problem, right?

i kept an eye on it, it did it's job for around 67%, then it hung, the
system was not responding, any command failed, i had to reboot. after
the reboot the whole thing started all over again, from the beginning.
but there is nothing in the logs that would indicate a problem.