[linux-lvm] LVM 'Incorrect metadata header'

Sander Smeenk ssmeenk at freshdot.net
Fri Apr 29 09:09:48 UTC 2005

Hello!

Recently i tried to setup a new server with LVM, but the Debian
installer couldn't do for me what I wanted it to do, so I had to do it
myself after installing the base system.
No problem, because I think I know LVM, and now it works...

But the installer somehow wrote LVM metadata to /dev/sda1 (which is now
my plain ext3 root partition) during my struggles with the Debian installer.

Now every time when I run any lvm tool like vgscan, or lvdisplay,
the tools blurt out:
    'Incorrect metadata area header checksum'.

Running with -v -v shows that it happens when the tool scans /dev/sda1.
But /dev/sda1 is just a Linux partition with ext3 fs on it.

Is there any way I can remove the LVM metadata area header so that the
tools just ignore that partition instead of warning me every time? ;)

Let me know :)

Regards,
Sander.