Re: [linux-lvm] Problem with Metadata at the beginning of the disk

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 04:28:21PM -0400, krishnakumar, narasimha wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having a problem with the metadata at the beginning of the disk. The
> disk is a whole disk with a valid partition table. The disk is part of a
> volume group. The operations I am trying to do are the following
>
> 1. pvcreate /dev/sdf
> 2. vgcreate samplevg  /dev/sdf
> 3. Open the device (/dev/sdf) read only (using open system call)
> 4. read 512 bytes from the beginning of the device.
>
>  I expect atleast the ID "HM" to be at the beginning of the disk but the
> first block (512 bytes) is all 0. Anybody have any ideas how I can get the
> information like the id, version etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Try going a bit...further.

--
AJ Lewis                                   Voice:  612-638-0500
Red Hat                                    E-Mail: alewis redhat com

Current GPG fingerprint = D9F8 EDCE 4242 855F A03D  9B63 F50C 54A8 578C 8715
Grab the key at: http://people.redhat.com/alewis/gpg.html or one of the
many keyservers out there...