Re: [linux-lvm] pvmove won't start

Dieter

I don't know what the odds of getting your distro to fix it but if you have any plans to use pvmove or make snapshots I highly recommend you load dm_snapshot and dm_mirror in your initrd or build into the kernel.

I found the hard way that I couldn't boot with the snapshot even if not mounted with out these loaded.

In debian sarge I put
dm_snapshot
dm_mirror
in /etc/mkinitrd/modules
and ran mkinitrd.

John

Dieter Stüken wrote:

I'm using LVM2 on kernel 2.6.12.2 and tried to perform a pvmove.
Unfortunately I got the message:

mirror: Required device-mapper target(s) not detected in your kernel

I found, dm-mirror was compiled as a module, but it was not loaded.
After a "modprobe dm-mirror" it seems to work now. Can someone tell
me, why the module is not loaded automatically?

Dieter.

begin:vcard
fn:John McMonagle
n:McMonagle;John
org:Advocap Inc
adr;dom:;;2929 Harrison St;Oshkosh;WI;54936
email;internet:johnm advocap org
title:IT Manager
tel;work:920-426-0150
x-mozilla-html:FALSE