[linux-lvm] lvcreate --snapshot ---> file descriptor 7 left open?

Lutz.Reinegger at t-systems.com Lutz.Reinegger at t-systems.com
Wed Aug 17 12:32:50 UTC 2005

Hey there,

currently I am testing a small backup script (ksh) which is supposed to create snapshots
of my MySQL database file systems using the Linux LVM2 snapshot feature.

Here is the command I am using:
"/usr/sbin/lvcreate -L 10240M --snapshot -p r -n mysqlsnap /dev/datavg/mysqllv"

It works fine so far ($? = 0), however I am seeing some kind of strange messages:
"
File descriptor 7 left open
  Logical volume "mysqlsnap" created
"

A month ago Jürgen reported similar messages using "lvdisplay":
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2005-July/msg00069.html
Alasdair then pointed out that this message is (only?) a warning message:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2005-July/msg00070.html

Here 's my question:
Do I have to be worried about the consistency of my snapshots in any way
because of this message?

Operating system  : RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 for IA32 + latest patches.
Kernel version    : 2.6.9-11.ELsmp

lvm> version
  LVM version     : 2.01.08 (2005-03-22)
  Library version : 1.01.01 (2005-03-29)