[linux-lvm] Metadata location on disk

Hi,

I am trying to read metadata off of the COW device. I used "lvcreate -s" to create the snapshot and "lvdisplay" indicates that it is active and available. I am using hexdump on the newly created /dev/VolGroup00/lvol1 and I dont see the structure mentioned in dm-exception-store.c:

37  * The first chunk of the COW device just contains the header.
38  * After this there is a chunk filled with exception metadata,
39  * followed by as many exception chunks as can fit in the
40  * metadata areas.

The first 1024 bytes are all zeros. When I skip a chunk (lvdisplay indicates that the chunk size is 8192 bytes), I dont see the magic byte-string. Am I understanding this wrong? I get a similar result when I use "read" followed by an "open" on the COW device. Where is the metadata on the disk?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Satish

Search, meet and marry from millions on http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgibin/tracking.php?section=tagoff&siteurlsite=msn&domain=1&landing=cobrandbm.pl&creative=bm_aug05_text link_tagoff&referredby=716324 BharatMatrimony.com http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/