Re: [linux-lvm] Saving files from full failing volume

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 17:22 +1000, Chris Jensen wrote:
> (I've read up about LVM and understand I can replace failed
> blocks/disks with /dev/zero, so the shrinking and moving part doesn't
> worry me to much, it's just the identifying of where files live that
> I'm curious about.)

The only way to really identify where files live in LVM is to identify
which filesystem they're on.  Then they might end up being on any random
block of that filesystem.  You can identify which physical extents a
particular filesystem is using easily, but not which physical extents a
particular file is using.

Perhaps someone else can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but as I
understand things this is how it works.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
be properly armed.  -- Alexander Hamilton