[linux-lvm] Hello and what to do about a failed pvmove?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Aug 24 23:58:21 UTC 2005

We've had a hardware problem necessitating pvmove-ing a large number of PVs
to a new PV device, teh old PV device has some uncorrectable sectors,
during a block of pvmove-es we hit one of these causing pvmove to
fail....now we've got (according to pvdisplay) duplicate LE's associated
with the (dead/dieing) PV such that pvdisplay on the destination device
shows the PV extent/LE moved, but the original/source PV shows it still
there as well.  lvdisplay shows the destination PV as being the 'current'
PV in all cases as far as I can tell (which means the kernel is using
these?)

My question is...now pvmove reports the below error and the source
(dead/dieing) PV still displays the LEs in it's output...how do I clear
this up?  basically I had pvmove fail on some impossible reads and now I
need to clean up after it...

Any hints/suggestions/etc?

pvmove -- ERROR "Invalid argument" remapping
pvmove -- ERROR "pv_move(): LE of LV remap" moving physical extents

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler