Re: [linux-lvm] pvmove on broken disk

--On August 26, 2005 3:26:26 PM +0200 Fredrik Tolf <fredrik dolda2000 com> wrote:

Dear List,

<...>
I've got a related question as well, but it's not really LVM-related.
The thing is that there's something strange with either the IDE chipset
(a Promise card) or the corresponding driver that this disk is connected
to, which causes a kernel panic every time a read from a bad sector is
attempted. I figure I can "fix" that by connecting the drives to a
different computer while pvmoving, but I wouldn't prefer to do that, as
it causes downtime. Does someone on the list know of this problem and
how to work around it? I figure that I can attempt to fix the driver
bug, but I wouldn't prefer to experiment with that system...

Actually, if you're having PV errors, it might be the filesystem driver that's panic-ing....you'll need to run the output through ksymoops and find out where it's dieieng. If you've corrupted filesystem data, that's the much more likely target (although what you're hypothesizing isn't impossible, I've just never seen that).

Thanks for your time!

Fredrik Tolf