Re: [linux-lvm] pvmove on broken disk

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:13 -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
> --On August 26, 2005 3:26:26 PM +0200 Fredrik Tolf <fredrik dolda2000 com>
> wrote:
> > I've got a related question as well, but it's not really LVM-related.
> > The thing is that there's something strange with either the IDE chipset
> > (a Promise card) or the corresponding driver that this disk is connected
> > to, which causes a kernel panic every time a read from a bad sector is
> > attempted. I figure I can "fix" that by connecting the drives to a
> > different computer while pvmoving, but I wouldn't prefer to do that, as
> > it causes downtime. Does someone on the list know of this problem and
> > how to work around it? I figure that I can attempt to fix the driver
> > bug, but I wouldn't prefer to experiment with that system...
>
> Actually, if you're having PV errors, it might be the filesystem driver
> that's panic-ing....you'll need to run the output through ksymoops and find
> out where it's dieieng.  If you've corrupted filesystem data, that's the
> much more likely target (although what you're hypothesizing isn't
> impossible, I've just never seen that).

Thanks for the tip, but the panic message gave enough info for me to
conclude that it's a NULL pointer dereference in ide_timer_expiry.
Unfortunately, I hadn't compiled the kernel with debugging support,
however, so it's hard for me to determine just where in ide_timer_expiry
at this point.

Fredrik Tolf