[linux-lvm] Can't Mount Cleaned Disks after Crash

William Strathearn billythekid at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 18:29:18 UTC 2005

   After a forced reboot while my 2.6.12 system was frozen, the JFS
formatted LVM2 VG I have created will not mount upon startup.  When I
use the following command to mount it by hand, I get a generic bad
superblock message:

pvr ~ # mount -t jfs /dev/myth-video-vg/myth-video /video
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/myth-video-
vg/myth-video,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

   I ran jfs_fsck on both physical volumes that are part of the VG
and one partition had a detectable error that was fixed by replaying
the log.  Now jfs_fsk reports two clean filesystems.

pvr ~ # jfs_fsck /dev/sdb
jfs_fsck version 1.1.8, 03-May-2005
processing started: 12/4/2005 10.1.24
Using default parameter: -p
The current device is:  /dev/sdb
Block size in bytes:  4096
Filesystem size in blocks:  61049646
**Phase 0 - Replay Journal Log
Filesystem is clean.

pvr ~ # jfs_fsck /dev/sda4
jfs_fsck version 1.1.8, 03-May-2005
processing started: 12/4/2005 10.1.31
Using default parameter: -p
The current device is:  /dev/sda4
Block size in bytes:  4096
Filesystem size in blocks:  16844152
**Phase 0 - Replay Journal Log
Filesystem is clean.

   Despite their cleanliness, they still won't mount.  Do I need to
go about restoring anything in LVM2 meta data in order to mount?
I've read
this previous post about using vgcfgrestore and tried it with the
newest file in /etc/lvm/archive/, but it had not effect after
completing sucessfully.

pvr ~ # vgcfgrestore --file /etc/lvm/archive/myth-video-vg_00003.vg
myth-video-vg
   Restored volume group myth-video-vg

pvr ~ # mount -t jfs /dev/myth-video-vg/myth-video /video
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/myth-video-
vg/myth-video,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

   I'm really not sure what I need to do in order to get this VG
mounted.  Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

    Here are some diagnostics:

pvr ~ # lvscan
   ACTIVE            '/dev/myth-video-vg/myth-video' [297.14 GB] inherit
pvr ~ # lvmdiskscan
   /dev/sda1 [       39.19 MB]
   /dev/sda2 [      964.84 MB]
   /dev/sda3 [        9.32 GB]
   /dev/sda4 [       64.26 GB] LVM physical volume
   /dev/sdb  [      232.89 GB] LVM physical volume
   0 disks
   3 partitions
   1 LVM physical volume whole disk
   1 LVM physical volume
pvr ~ # lvdisplay
   --- Logical volume ---
   LV Name                /dev/myth-video-vg/myth-video
   VG Name                myth-video-vg
   LV UUID                4gV513-mE25-gEkf-gCLp-LqWE-XvG8-CXziEv
   LV Write Access        read/write
   LV Status              available
   # open                 0
   LV Size                297.14 GB
   Current LE             76067
   Segments               2
   Allocation             inherit
   Read ahead sectors     0
   Block device           253:0

pvr ~ # pvdisplay
   --- Physical volume ---
   PV Name               /dev/sdb
   VG Name               myth-video-vg
   PV Size               232.88 GB / not usable 0
   Allocatable           yes (but full)
   PE Size (KByte)       4096
   Total PE              59618
   Free PE               0
   Allocated PE          59618
   PV UUID               0SUUxX-EVWj-Mquv-qCnR-NNHb-qMfp-v4uOnZ

   --- Physical volume ---
   PV Name               /dev/sda4
   VG Name               myth-video-vg
   PV Size               64.25 GB / not usable 0
   Allocatable           yes (but full)
   PE Size (KByte)       4096
   Total PE              16449
   Free PE               0
   Allocated PE          16449
   PV UUID               Bo4us4-JNx7-T71m-H7M6-AxFN-eH4m-1m0zvB

pvr ~ # pvscan
   PV /dev/sdb    VG myth-video-vg   lvm2 [232.88 GB / 0    free]
   PV /dev/sda4   VG myth-video-vg   lvm2 [64.25 GB / 0    free]
   Total: 2 [297.14 GB] / in use: 2 [297.14 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]
pvr ~ # vgscan
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Found volume group "myth-video-vg" using metadata type lvm2

--
Bill