[linux-lvm] Recovery of data in LVM from a corrupt disk

mymail mymail internetbizmail at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 01:12:36 UTC 2005

Michael Loftis <mloftis at wgops.com> wrote:
LVM is not a filesystem, it's a block device layer.  If you're
running/using LVM on the existing system it's vgscan and vgchange on
startup should have activated all the old LVs/VGs and mapped them to
/dev/VGNAME/LVNAME -- those are the devices you mount.
Thanks.

I realise this. But the disk I'm trying to mount is built the same way as the new disk I've built. So the both have a VolGroup00. What I would like to do is to either understand how I can change the volume group info so it will become a distinct volume group, and then I can 'import' this into my new environment, or how I can get into the block system so I can access the filesystem structure it embeds.

This is where I'm struggling. I would like to create a VolGroup01 device file, rename the volume group within the physical volume, and then mount that. Is it possible to 'hack' the old drive like this?

http://mail.yahoo.com