[linux-lvm] Lost all logical volumes in two volume groups?

Jimisola Laursen public at jimisola.com
Thu Dec 22 10:36:58 UTC 2005

Hi!

After a failed Mandriva upgrade I can no longer use my two LVM (vg01 and vg02).
When the upgrade failed I unplugged my disks after two-three boots where
ReiserFS found errors until I had reinstalled my system (with OpenSuse).

I just plugged in my disks again and the LVM partitions are recognized, but
there are no LVs!
Is there anyway for me to fix this?

I have an old copy of /etc/lvm with archive and backup directories including
vg01_00000.vg and vg01_00001.vg.
No .vg files for vg02 though, but that VG is less important than the vg01 one.

VG system: current OpenSuse system
VG vg01: shows no LV (have .vg files)
VG vg02: shows no LV (have no .vg files)

All partitions are ReiserFS.

Regards,
Jimisola

fermat:/scratch # vgchange -ay
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg02" now active
  5 logical volume(s) in volume group "system" now active
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg01" now active
fermat:/scratch # vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vg02
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  3
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                255
  Cur LV                0
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                255
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               45.90 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              11750
  Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
  Free  PE / Size       11750 / 45.90 GB
  VG UUID               crHchE-236z-G24u-AGhW-MgDd-nTxD-1MnxHn

  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               system
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  7
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                5
  Open LV               5
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               97.66 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              25001
  Alloc PE / Size       11506 / 44.95 GB
  Free  PE / Size       13495 / 52.71 GB
  VG UUID               qMe8jO-4Qyl-Weno-k09t-n2Pd-Jo5G-Co7kpn

  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               vg01
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  12
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                255
  Cur LV                0
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                255
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               232.88 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              59618
  Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
  Free  PE / Size       59618 / 232.88 GB
  VG UUID               YowUTE-awQj-OyKP-0UGH-nwkD-MZzt-e8P0kK