[linux-lvm] Problem mounting logical volumes after system rebuild.

Does anyone know how to create a LVM1 volume group and logical volumes with LVM2 tools. The reason I ask is because the tools on my rescue CD have LVM2 on it and I am trying to rebuild my RHEL 3 server which uses LVM1. I think the main problem is the metadata being create in the wrong version and I am not sure how to change it.

Cheers

Steve B.