RE: [linux-lvm] LVM + SAN Behavior

Hello-

I too am sharing the same issue regarding SAN file systems and Linux LVM.  I have a device presented via FC on RHEL 3 update 3.  I'm using the LVM provided by RedHat:

lvm-1.0.8-5

I started with a simple raid 5 configuration with 3 disks (approx 135GB).  Now I've added 1 more disk into the array (Done on a DS4300).

When I created the file systems I did so as such:

pvcreate /dev/sdc
vgcreate <volgrp_name> /dev/sdc
lvcreate -L +45G -n <lv_name> <volgrp_name>
mkfs -j  /dev/<volgrp_name>/<lv_name>

So far so good.  Partitions mount up and work fine.  I've even gone through and modified <lv_name> by removing the journal file, resizing and remounting with good success.  My problem is now that I've added in another disk (capacity now approx 200GB) I cannot grow the vg:

# vgextend <volgrp_name> /dev/sdc
vgextend -- INFO: maximum logical volume size is 2 Terabyte
vgextend -- ERROR: physical volume "/dev/sdc" already belongs to volume group "<volgrp_name>"

As discussed in previous messages I could simply create a partition and add it in.  I've gone down that road, but with the inability to grow a physical partition (tried via parted) that too didn't work well.  To me it doesn't seem that this should be outside of normal expectations but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information regarding LVM and SANs.

Regards,
Kreig