[linux-lvm] moving LVM to a new box

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) jean-luc.coulon at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 9 14:15:13 UTC 2005

Le 09.02.2005 14:50:28, Sutto Zoltan a écrit :
> I have a newly installed/configured/updated FC3 with LVM2 on a P3 box.
> How can I move this working system to a new P4 box with a larger SATA
> disk without reinstalling/upgrading/configuring the whole OS.
>
> Any help would be appreciated

If I suppose you can install and boot you old disk in you new system
together with the new disk, you can do the following (I suppose the old
disk is /dev/hda with a /dev/hda1 partition, and new one /dev/sda with
a /dev/sda1 partition, I suppose your volume group is vg0):

make backups  ;-)

- pvcreate /dev/sda1
- vgextend vg0 /dev/sda1
- move all the lv data with pvmove /dev/hda1.
- vgreduce vg0 /dev/hda2
- you will have to configure lilo/grub to install and point on your new
disk.

I've done such a way but it was not with lvm2. Maybe there are some
pvmove issues with lvm2.

> Zoltan Sutto

Jean-Luc