Re: [linux-lvm] moving LVM to a new box

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

Le 09.02.2005 14:50:28, Sutto Zoltan a écrit :

I have a newly installed/configured/updated FC3 with LVM2 on a P3 box.
How can I move this working system to a new P4 box with a larger SATA disk without reinstalling/upgrading/configuring the whole OS.

Any help would be appreciated

If I suppose you can install and boot you old disk in you new system together with the new disk, you can do the following (I suppose the old disk is /dev/hda with a /dev/hda1 partition, and new one /dev/sda with a /dev/sda1 partition, I suppose your volume group is vg0):

make backups ;-)

- pvcreate /dev/sda1
- vgextend vg0 /dev/sda1
- move all the lv data with pvmove /dev/hda1.
- vgreduce vg0 /dev/hda2
- you will have to configure lilo/grub to install and point on your new disk.

I've done such a way but it was not with lvm2. Maybe there are some pvmove issues with lvm2.

I just did exactly this for a new box, using lvm2, and it worked great. (re-emphasize "make backups"). The only issue I has was that pvmove failed until I realized that a necessary kernel module (dm_mirror, I believe) wasn't loaded.

-Tupshin