Re: [linux-lvm] waah waah - disaster recovery

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:05:23PM -0500, Paul Pianta wrote:
> Rebooting the machine, I was able to fsck my way through the /boot and /
> partition errors but the boot process gets stuck when trying to read the
> journal for /data/repositories. The /data/backup and /data/isos volumes
> mounted ok after they recovered their respective journals, but I don't
> ever get past the 'recovering journal' message for /data/repositories.

Yeah, the ext3 journal recovery code in the kernel seems to be buggy.
(I use reiserfs on lvm2 and I have never had any problems with that, by the
way.)

Try this:

1. Boot with a live CD and comment out the line in /etc/fstab on your root
partition that refers to /data/repositories, by putting a # at the start of
the line. Note down which device corresponds to /data/repositories.

2. Reboot from your hard drive

3. Run fsck /dev/[device noted in step 1]

That should sort it. (I'm assuming that one of your live CDs can at least
mount your / partition.)
--
Robin